One of several personality disorders identified by the American Psychiatric Association. Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) is a mental health condition where the individual has an inflated sense of personal importance, a strong need for admiration, and a lack of empathy for others.
- Sense of entitlement
- Exaggerates achievements and talents
- Fantasies about success, power, intelligence, and/or beauty
- Monopolizing conversation while belittling others
- Significant interpersonal problems with others
- Easily feels slighted
- Unwillingness to recognize the needs of others
Individuals with NPD rarely seek treatment unless it is to discuss the problems of others. Insight is often lacking, a necessary element of the chemotherapeutic process. While some models for group intervention have been noted in the literature, outcomes data is lacking.